Check your email health score
Mail-tester is a service that allows you to test numerous aspects of your email delivery system. It tests the health score of your email address, the configuration of your domain, as well as the content of the message itself. Knowing how all of those factors are perceived by the spam-filters gives you a comprehensive insight into the issues with deliverability of your communication and ways to resolve them.
When you hit the wall of spam-filters, it proves to be a blessing. However, it’s a good idea to use it regularly – just to keep your hand on the pulse.
How do you use it in order to get relevant information, though? Follow this short tutorial, to get the most out of Mail tester.
To get the most out of mail-tester, you’ll want to:
- use one of the messages that you actually send to your prospects,
- send it from the email address you use for outbound and
- send the message using Growbots.
To achieve all that, you’ll need to:
- Go to the mail-tester website.
- Copy the email address generated for you by mail-tester. Keep in mind that a new email address is generated every time you refresh the page.
Import a prospect into Growbots with the email address you generated with mail-tester.
You can find the import prospects template CSV file here.It’s a good idea to create a new project for that. You can skip the first and last name and stick to just the email address. However, it’s a good practice to add some further information, i.e. when the particular mail-test was performed.
If you’re not sure how to import new prospects into Growbots, you can find a detailed walk-through in this article.
1. It’s best to do the test using a cadence that you use regularly in your work. Of course, you don’t need to send all the follow-ups – the first message is enough.
To send only the first message, create a clone of the cadence and edit it by deleting the follow-ups.
2. Your cadence will probably also have sent time rules assigned to the message. To make sure the message will be sent immediately switch off the Send at rule.
3. Start the campaign by accepting the list prospect containing the “mail-tester prospect”. Use the cadence clone you just prepared and the email address you want to test.
4. Wait for the message to be sent (it can take up to 15-20 minutes). Once it is sent, go back to the mail-tester website.
5. Make sure that the email address typed on the page is the one to which the test message was sent. If it’s not, you can paste the correct email address into the mail-tester website.
6. Click “The check your score”. You will be redirected to the results page.
To share the results, just copy the address of the results page and pass it on.
Interpreting the results
Mail-tester offers a lot of information on what you can improve and how to do that. The best place to start is to follow the suggestions provided on the results page itself.
If your email address or domain is blacklisted, follow the links provided as the blacklist names to find information on how to get off them.
If your SPF record is not set correctly, you will find step-by-step guides on the mail-tester website. Just follow the SPF Guides link at the bottom of the page.
If you need any help with interpreting the results and deciding on what to do next, take a look at our Ultimate Guide to Killing Spam or reach out to the Growbots Customer Success team.